Photographer Collaboration with other Businesses
Photographers Why Should you Collaborate with
Two heads are better than one!
Well, collaborating with another local business mind let’s you work together with your clients to cross refer, connect, build new partnerships with other creatives and reach a larger audience together. This can be such a fun way for photographers who frequently work solo to network and communicate with other local business owners on a regular basis, be a part of the community, and feel and be connected locally to you market.
Think outside your industry…
Photographers might naturally look to florists, caterers, venue owners for first collaboration partners, but don’t forget to get creative. Newborn photographers might look to OB/GYN offices, Senior photographers to Orthodontists, or Glamour photographers to Make-up artists.
Some collaboration ideas
– Shoot an event to drive traffic to your website. This might be a local charity event you shoot for annually, or an event that reaches your target market. For example, Senior photographers could shoot a high school prom or sports event and send those teens to your blog to retrieve or just look at all the images from the night.
– Volunteer to do some promotional images for another local business, a boutique, spa, salon, or even a business way outside your market, a local restaurant, coffee shop, or industry.
– Offer to do some complimentary headshots for that local wedding vendor to get a spot on their preferred vendor list.
– Provide some high quality social media images for a fun event, holiday or community celebration, again to drive traffic back to your webpage.
– Offer your expertise in styling or web building….
– Offer a mini how to pose for the camera to a local business group
– Be a speaker to a local moms group & talk about how to get better pics of the kids
The ideas are endless….don’t forget this is about building lasting relationships that benefit both businesses. Nurture these collaborations once you develop them. Stay in touch while remembering that these business owners are just as busy as you are and while they may not have time to connect in person frequently, you do need to stay on their minds……….Simple low cost ideas for connecting and maintaining those business relationships can be as easy as taking them a morning treat or midday snack and dropping it off with a quick note.
Plan with Intent
Be organized and plan your networking ideas out. It is helpful to look at a year, a quarter or even a month and spread out you ideas. Plan to connect to one new business every quarter, and nurture your current partners every month. This way you can plot your key marketing time out and distribute it evenly so that you are driving traffic to your own business throughout the year, or targeting your slow times as well as maintains any relationships you have started.
Partnerships and collaborations need to be a win win for both partners. Cross promoting, shared expenses on materials or promotional items, or spaces, even bartering for services can work but if the collaboration is one sided it is not going to work. One party will end up feeling used and then the relationship will go sour. Once you find the perfect business collaboration, you can make it official or not but setting some guidelines helps in some situations. For example, if you approach the doctors office and decide to take images in, where will they be displayed, who pays for them, how long will they be displayed, will they distribute collateral materials for you, what if an image gets damaged…who will replace it…. ? Some collaborations will remain rather informal and that works too but some need to be a bit more formal.
My Recent Collaboration
I recently began a collaboration with a local boutique and I will feature them on another future blog. Stardust Boutique is a local clothing store. Here are a few images from the shoot we did a few days ago which we will use to build collateral marketing materials. I am looking forward to a long and mutually prosperous relationship!
I hope this has given you some usable ideas or simple got you thinking about your marketing plan and how you can incorporate collaboration with other businesses into your business.